Comparative Study on Body Mass Index between Hypothyroidism Patients and Healthy Volunteers
Background: Hypothyroidism is known to interfere with the metabolism of all the cells in the body, particularly fat metabolism in adipose tissue. This, in turn, leads to obesity. Body mass index (BMI) is widely used to assess obesity and metabolic syndrome. Obesity leads to a higher incidence of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Materials and Methods: Twenty-five hypothyroid subjects were enrolled (study group) from the Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Govt. Rajaji Hospital attached to the Madurai Medical College, Madurai. Twenty-five normal subjects who were age- and sex-matched with the study group were enrolled to form the control group. Serum levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), total circulating T4, and total circulating T3 were measured by radioimmunoassay to confirm hypothyroidism. Height and weight were measured using a stadiometer and weighing scale, BMI was calculated using Quetelet’s index formula. Results and Conclusion: The results were tabulated and analyzed by applying unpaired t-test and SPSS software version 16.0. BMI values of the study group and control group were compared, but there was no statistical significance. BMI values when compared with serum TSH levels within the same group, the Pearson correlation coefficient also showed no statistical significance.
2. Hoogwerf BJ, Nutall FQ. Long-term weight regulation in treated hyperthyroid and hypothyroid subjects. Am J Med 1984;76:963-70.
3. Rosenbaum M, Hirsch J, Murphy E, Leibel RL. Effects of changes in body weight on carbohydrate metabolism, catecholamine excretion, and thyroid function. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:1421-32.
4. Danforth E Jr., Horton ES, O’Connell M, Sims EA, Burger AG, Ingbar SH, et al. Dietary-induced alterations in thyroid hormone metabolism during overnutrition. J Clin Invest 1979;64:1336-47.
5. Surks MI, Sievert R. Drugs and thyroid function. N Engl J Med 1995;333:1688-94.
6. Iwen KA, Schroder E, Brabant G. Thyroid hormones and metabolic syndrome. Eur Thyroid J 2013;2:83-92. 7. Verma A, Jayaraman M, Kumar HK, Modi KD. Hypothyroidism and obesity. Cause or effect? Saudi Med J 2008;29:1135-8.
8. Kare PK, Saxena T, Jandel A, Makwane H. Relationship between thyroid hormones and body mass index in Indian healthy adults. J Clin Diagn Res 2020;14:BC01-4.
9. Solanki A, Bansal S, Jindal S, Saxena V, Shukla US. Relationship of serum thyroid stimulating hormone with body mass index in healthy adults. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17:S167-9.
10. Nyrnes A, Jorde R, Sundsfjord J. Serum TSH is positively associated with BMI. Int J Obes (Lond) 2006;30:100-5.