The Interruption of Administering Routine Measles Vaccine in Nepal: A Point of Contention During and Post the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic?
The interruption of administering routine measles vaccinations has put a significant strain on Nepal’s already overburdened
health system. Over five significant measles outbreaks have occurred in Nepal since the country’s nationwide lockdown began,
including in Kathmandu, the Capital. The interruption of immunization programs, as well as a drop in the number of confirmed
cases, may have a devastating effect in the coming days, placing the target of eliminating measles by 2023 in jeopardy. In this
review, we weigh the long-term impact on public health and consequences of disrupting the national immunization program
against staying at home to flatten the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) surge curve. We speculate that during and post
the COVID-19 pandemic; the measles endemic is imminent, particularly due to socioeconomic gaps and unhygienic measures.
lockdown-for-a-week-starting-6am-tuesday. [Last accessed on
2021 Jan 13].
2. COVID-19 Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC)
Global Research and Innovation Forum. Available from: https://www.
accessed on 2021 Jan 13].
3. SDG Final. Available from: http://www.dor.gov.np/documents/Status_
Paper%20_2013.pdf [Last accessed on 2020 Dec 10]
4. World Health Organization. Measles Deaths in Nepal: Estimating the
National Case-fatality Ratio. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2021.
Available from: https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/87/6/07-050427/en.
[Last accessed on 2021 Jan 13].
5. World Health Organization South-East Asia Region Sets 2023 Target
to Eliminate Measles, Rubella. Available from: https://www.who.int/
cancer-who. [Last accessed on 2021 Jan 13].
6. Measles Outbreaks Reported in Five Districts Including in Kathmandu
and Lalitpur in Last one Month-Nepal. ReliefWeb. Available from:
including-kathmandu-and-lalitpur-last-one. [Last accessed on
2020 Dec 30].
7. Awale S. A Shot in the Arm for Vaccines in Nepal. Available from: https://
[Last accessed on 2020 Dec 28].
8. COVID-19 Child and Family Tracker: Findings Tracking the Socioeconomic
Impact of COVID-19 on Children and Families in Nepal.
Available from: https://www.unicef.org/nepal/reports/covid-19- child-andfamily-
tracker-findings. [Last accessed on 2021 Jan 13].
9. WHO and UNICEF Warn of a Decline in Vaccinations During COVID-19.
Available from: https://www.who.int/news/item/15-07-2020-who-andunicef-
warn-of-a-decline-in-vaccinations-during-covid-19. [Last accessed
on 2020 Dec 28].
10. Getting Immunization Back on Track-Nepal. ReliefWeb. Available from:
[Last accessed on 2020 Dec 28].
11. Provisional Monthly Measles and Rubella Data. Available from: https://
accessed on 2021 Jan 12].
12. Santoli JM. Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on routine pediatric vaccine
ordering and administration-United States, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal
Wkly Rep. 2020;69:6919.
13. Saxena S, Skirrow H, Bedford H. Routine vaccination during covid-19
pandemic response. BMJ 2020;369:m2392.
14. Nachega JB, Mbala-Kingebeni P, Otshudiema J, Zumla A, Tam-Fum JJ. The
colliding epidemics of COVID-19, Ebola, and measles in the democratic
republic of the Congo. Lancet Glob Health 2020;8:e991-2.
15. Acharya K, Paudel YR, Dharel D. The trend of full vaccination coverage in
infants and inequalities by wealth quintile and maternal education: Analysis
from four recent demographic and health surveys in Nepal. BMC Public
16. Ashbaugh HR, Hoff NA, Doshi RH, Alfonso VH, Gadoth A, Mukadi P, et al.
Predictors of measles vaccination coverage among children 6-59 months of
age in the democratic republic of the Congo. Vaccine 2018;36:587.
17. Measles. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/
detail/measles. [Last accessed on 2020 Dec 30].
18. Evolution and Use of Dynamic Transmission Models for Measles and
Rubella Risk and Policy Analysis-Thompson-2016-Risk Analysis.
Available from: https://www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/
risa.12637. [Last accessed on 2020 Dec 30].
19. Surveillance for VPDs. Available from: https://www.who.int/teams/
about/immunization-analysis-and-insights. [Last accessed on
2021 Jan 12]; Available from: https://www.dohs.gov.np/wp-content/
uploads/2017/06/DoHS_Annual_Report_2072_73.pdf. [Last accessed
on 2021 Jan 12].