Impact of Different Endodontic Sealers on Retentive Strength of Fiber Posts – An In Vitro Study
Aim: The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of two different root canal sealers in relation to the retention of the
prefabricated fiber posts.
Materials and Methods: Twenty extracted single-rooted mandibular premolar teeth were prepared and randomly divided into two
groups. In Group 1, eugenol-based sealer was used while in Group 2, a resin-based root canal sealer was used. Prefabricated
fiber posts were luted into the prepared post-spaces with the same composite resin cement in both the groups. After calculating
the pullout forces required for dislodgment of posts post-spaces, the data were recorded and statistically analyzed.
Results: The resin-based root canal sealer group had significantly greater retentive strengths for the posts as compared to
eugenol-based sealers group (P > 0.0001).
Conclusion: The retentive strength for prefabricated fiber posts luted with resin cement was much more than those luted with
eugenol-based sealers. This was attributed to the different chemical composition of the two dealers.
Br Dent J 2003;195:43-8.
2. Qualtrough AJ, Chandler NP, Purton DG. A comparison of the retention of
tooth-colored posts. Quintessence Int 2003;34:199-201.
3. Tjan AH, Nemetz H. Effect of eugenol-containing endodontic sealer on
retention of prefabricated posts luted with an adhesive composite resin
cement. Quintessence Int 1992;23:839-4.
4. Schwartz RS, Murchison DF, Walker WA. Effects of eugenol and noneugenol
endodontic sealer cements on post retention. J Endod 1998;24:564-7.
5. Hagge MS, Wong RD, Lindemuth JS. Effect of three root canal sealers
on the retentive strength of endodontic posts luted with resin cement. Int
Endod J 2002;35:372-8.
6. Asmussen E, Peutzfeldt A, Heitmann T. Stiffness, elastic limit, and strength
of newer types of endodontics posts. J Dent 1999;27:275-8.
7. Bouillaguet S, Troesch S, Wataha JC, Krejci I, Meyer JM, Pashley DH.
Microtensile bond strength between adhesive cements and root canal
dentin. Dent Mater 2003;19:199-205.
8. Ferrari M, Vichi A, Grandini M. Efficacy of different adhesive techniques
on bonding to root canal walls: An SEM investigation. Dent Mater
9. Wennberg A, Østravik D. Adhesion of root canal sealers to bovine dentine
and gutta-percha. Int Endod J 1990;23:13-9.
10. Lee KW, Williams MC, Camps JJ, Pashley DH. Adhesion of endodontic
sealers to dentine and gutta-percha. J Endod 2002;28:684-8.
11. Hagge MS, Wong RD, Lindemuth JS. Retention strengths of five luting
cements on prefabricated dowels after root canal obturation with a zinc
oxide/eugenol sealer: 1. Dowel space preparation/cementation at one week
after obturation. J Prosthodont 2002;11:168-75.
12. Al-Wazzan KA, Al-Harbi AA, Hammad IA. The effect of eugenolcontaining
temporary cement on the bond strength of two resin composite
core materials to dentin. J Prosthodont 1997;6:37-42.
13. Schwartz R, Davis R, Hilton TJ. Effect of temporary cements on the bond
strength of a resin cement. Am J Dent 1992;5:147-50.
14. Hagge MS, Wong RD, Lindemuth JS. Retention of posts luted with
phosphate monomer-based composite cement in canals obturated using a
eugenol sealer. Am J Dent 2002;15:378-82.
15. Ganss C, Jung M. Effect of eugenol-containing temporary cements on bond
strength of composite to dentin. Oper Dent 1998;23:55-62.
16. Mayer T, Pioch T, Duscner H, Staehle HJ. Dentinal adhesion and
histomorphology of two dentinal bonding agents under the influence of
eugenol. Quintessence Int 1997;28:57-62.
17. Dilts WE, Miller RC, Miranda FJ, Duncanson MG Jr. Effect of zinc oxideeugenol
on shear bond strengths of selected core/cement combinations.
J Prosthet Dent 1986;55:206-8.
18. Carvalho CN, Oliveira B Jr., Loguercio AD, Reis A. Effect of ZOE
temporary restoration on resin-dentin bond strength using different adhesive
strategies J Esthet Restor Dent 2007;9:137-41.
19. Russo EM, Russo E, Carvalho RC, Santos MG, Braga SR. Effect of
eugenol-containing endodontic sealer on retention of posts. J Dent Res
20. Cheung W. A review of the management of endodontically treated teeth.
J Am Dent Assoc 2005;136:611-9.
21. Bitter K, Meyer-Lueckel H, Priehn K, Kanjuparambil JP, Neumann K,
Kielbassa AM. Effects of luting agent and thermocycling on bond strengths
to root canal dentine Int Endod J 2006;39:809-18.
22. Goracci C, Tavares AU, Fabianelli A, Monticelli F, Raffaelli O, Cardoso PC.
The adhesion between fibre posts and root canal walls: Comparison
between microtensile and push-out bond strength measurements. Eur J Oral
23. Al-Harbi F, Nathanson D. In vitro assessment of retention of four esthetic
dowels to resin core foundation and teeth. J Prosthet Dent 2003;90:547-55.