Introduction to Early Clinical Exposure as a Learning Tool in the 1st Year Medical Students
Objective: As medical education moves to new curricular models, including competency based education with defined
objectives, benchmarks and outcomes and more standardized approaches, it is important to understand and set objectives
for early clinical exposure.
Method: The study was conducted in MGM Medical College, Jamshedpur in October, 2019. 50 students participated with their
consent. The department faculty was sensitized to ECE, and the feedback questionnaire was approved by them.
Result: ECE is associated with better co-relation clinically (52%), building concept (26%), making subject interesting(48%),
retention (26%) and interactive (26%).
Conclusion: It can be summarized that teaching physiology in clinical context is the need of the hour.
Graduate 2018. New Delhi, India: A Publication of MCI; 2018.
2. McLean M. Sometimes we do get it right! Early clinical contact is a
rewarding experience. Educ Health (Abingdon) 2004;17:42-52.
3. Das P, Biswas S, Singh R, Mukherjee S, Ghoshal S, Pramanik D.
Effectiveness of early clinical exposure in learning physiology among the
newly entrant MBBS students. J Adv Med Educ Prof 2017;5:6-10.
4. Medical Council of India. Regulations on Graduate Medical Education.
New Delhi: Medical Council of India; 1997. Available from: http://www.
5. Govindrajan S, Vasanth G, Kumar PA, Priyadarshini C, Radhakrishnan SS,
Kanagaraj V, et al. Impact of a comprehensive early clinical exposure
program for preclinical medical students. 2018;4:133-8.
6. Rawekar A, Jagzape A, Srivastava T, Gotarkar S. Skill learning through
early clinical exposure: An experience of Indian medical school. J Clin
Diagn Res 2016;10:JC01-4.
7. Jackson MB, Keen M, Wenrich MD, Schaad DC, Robins L, Goldstein EA.
Impact of a pre-clinical skills curriculum on students performance in third
year. J Gen Inter Med 2009;24:929-33.
8. Elnick DM, Halbritter KA, Antonelli MA, Linger B. Educational and
carrer outcomes of an internal medicine preceptorship for first year medical
students. J Gen Inter Med 1999;13:341-6.
9. Godefrooij MB, Diemers AD, Scherpbier AJ. Students perception about the
transition to the clinical phase of a medical curriculum with pre-clinical
patient contacts: A focus group study. BMC Med Educ 2010;10:28.
10. Whipple ME, Barlow CB, Smith S, Goldstein EA. Early introduction of
clinical skills improves medical student comfort at the start of third year.
Acad Med 2006;81 Suppl 10:S40-3.
11. Available from: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/21262-tell-me_and_i_forget.