A Multidisciplinary Outlook in Prosthodontics
Prosthodontic research needs to cover all aspects that can contribute to the clinical outcomes. Without a strong interdisciplinary
relationship between other disciplines of dentistry and prosthodontics, the esthetic, functional, and/or biological outcome may be
compromised and necessitate extensive and expensive retreatment. Through this paper, we would like to review the outline of the
areas that overlap between prosthodontics and other branches of modern dentistry that dictates the interdisciplinary treatment.
radiographic examination of edentulous patients prior to denture
construction: The risk versus the benefit. Egypt Dent J 2005;51:1853-7.
2. Karjodkar FR. Textbook of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology. 2nd ed.
New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publihers; 2009.
3. Venkata CI, Krishnan MD. Survey of panaromic radiographic examination
of edentulous jaws prior to denture construction. IOSR J Dent Med Sci
4. Tyndall DA, Price JB, Tetradis S, Ganz SD, Hildebolt C, Scarfe WC, et al.
Position statement of the American academy of oral and maxillofacial
radiology on selection criteria for the use of radiology in dental implantology
with emphasis on cone beam computed tomography. Oral Surg Oral Med
Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012;113:817-26.
5. Jamil I, Mahajan T, Solanki S, Kapoor A, Roy CK, Radiographs in
prosthodontics-a review. Rama Univ J Dent Sci 2017;4:20-2.
6. Abduo J, Lyons KM. Interdisciplinary interface between fixed
prosthodontics and periodontics. Periodontol 2000 2017;74:40-62.
7. Hsu YT, Huang NC, Wang HL. Relationship between periodontics and
prosthodontics: The two-way street. J Prosthodont Implantol 2015;4:4-11.
8. Meyers HE, Baraff LS. A restorative approach to periodontally treated
mouth. Dent Clin North Am 1965;9:13.
9. Rosenberg MM. Management of osseous defects, furcation involvement
and periodontal pulpal lesions. In: Clark JW, editor. Clinical Dentistry. Vol.
3, Ch. 10. Hagerstown, MD: Harper and Row; 1979.
10. Nithisha B, Kumar CR, Rao DC, Sujesh M, Sreenivasulu D. An insight
into the periodontal restorative interrelationship. Indian J Dent Adv
11. Gargiulo AW, Wentz FM, Orban B. Dimensions and relations of the
dentogingival junction in humans. J Periodontol 1961;32:261-7.
12. Tal H, Soldinger M, Dreiangel A, Pitaru S. Periodontal response to longterm
abuse of the gingival attachment by supracrestal amalgam restorations.
J Clin Periodontol 1989;16:654-9.
13. Berglundh T, Lindhe J. Dimension of the periimplant mucosa. Biological
width revisited. J Clin Periodontol 1996;23:971-3.
14. Shrivastava N. Interdisciplinary orthodontics: A review. IOSR J Dent Med
15. Teresa P, Manuel N, Celia A. Multidisciplinary management including
periodontics, orthodontics, implants, and prosthetics for an adult. Am J
Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2012;142:235-45.
16. Dahl BL, Krogstad O, Karlsen K. An alternative treatment in cases with
advanced localized attrition. J Oral Rehabil 1975;2:209-14.
17. Torbjorner A, Fransson B. Biomechanical aspects of prosthetic treatment of
structurally compromised teeth. Int J Prosthodont 2004;17:135-41.
18. Potashnick SR, Rosenberg ES. Forced eruption: Principles in periodontics
and restorative dentistry. J Prosthet Dent 1982;48:141-8.
19. Becker A, Zalkind M, Stern N. The tilted posterior tooth. Part II:
Biomechanical therapy. J Prosthet Dent 1982;48:149-55.
20. Goodacre CJ, Spolnik KJ. The prosthodontic management of endodonticallytreated teeth: A literature review. Part II. Maintaining the apical seal. J
21. Lakshmi S, Krishna VG, Sivagami S. Prosthodontic considerations of
endodontically managed teeth. J Conserv Dent 2006;9:104-9.
22. Ray HA, Trope M. Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in
relation to the technical quality of the root filling and the coronal restoration.
Int Endod J 1995;28:12-8.
23. Barkhordar RA, Radke R, Abbasi J. Effect of metal collars on resistance of
endodontically treated teeth to root fracture. J Prosthet Dent 1989;61:676-8.
24. Chari H, Shaik KV. Preprosthetic surgery: Review of literature. IJSS 2016;3:10.
25. Kamble VD, Parkhedkar RD, Sarin SP, Patil PG, Kothari B. Simplifying
cleft surgery by presurgical nasoalveolar molding (PNAM) for infant born
with unilateral cleft lip, alveolus, and palate: A clinical report. J Prosthodont