Comparative Evaluation of Fracture Resistance of Endodontically Treated Teeth with Epoxy Resin-based Sealer AH Plus and Zinc Oxide Eugenol: An In Vitro Study
Introduction: Endodontic treatment while trying to save a tooth reduces the tooth structure which, in turn, reduces the fracture resistance of the tooth. Certain root canal sealers by improving the bond between the root canal filling materials and the tooth structure increase the fracture resistance of the tooth.
Aim: This study aims to evaluate and compare the fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth obturated with gutta-percha using two sealers, AH Plus and zinc oxide eugenol.
Materials and Methods: A total of 60 single-rooted mandibular premolars, decoronated at cementoenamel junction, were divided into two groups (n = 30 each). Cleaning and shaping of root canals were done using ProTaper rotary files and 3% sodium hypochlorite irrigation. Obturation was done using sealers, AH Plus in Group 1 and zinc oxide eugenol in Group 2 and gutta-percha. The teeth were subjected to vertical loading using a universal testing machine, and the readings were recorded at the point at which fracture of the roots occurred.
Results: According to the study, it was found that AH Plus showed better fracture resistance than zinc oxide eugenol. Statistically significant difference was found between the two groups.
Conclusion: AH Plus showed better fracture resistance than zinc oxide eugenol when used as root canal sealer with gutta-percha.
treated teeth: A literature review. J Endod 2004;30:289-301.
2. Sornkul E, Stannard JG. Strength of roots before and after endodontic
treatment and restoration. J Endod 1992;18:440-3.
3. Andreasen JO, Farik B, Munksgaard EC. Long-term calcium hydroxide as
a root canal dressing may increase risk of root fracture. Dent Traumatol
4. Holcomb JQ, Pitts DL, Nicholls JI. Further investigation of spreader loads
required to cause vertical root fracture during lateral condensation. J Endod
5. Tang W, Wu Y, Smales RJ. Identifying and reducing risks for potential
fractures in endodontically treated teeth. J Endod 2010;36:609-17.
6. Sagsen B, Er O, Kahraman Y, Akdogan G. Resistance to fracture of roots
filled with three different techniques. Int Endod J 2007;40:31-5.
7. Wilkinson KL, Beeson TJ, Kirkpatrick TC. Fracture resistance of simulated
immature teeth filled with resilon, gutta-percha, or composite. J Endod
8. Tay FR, Pashley DH. Monoblocks in root canals: A hypothetical or a
tangible goal. J Endod 2007;33:391-8.
9. Whitworth J. Methods of filling root canals: Principles and practices. Endod
10. Fisher MA, Berzins DW, Bahcall JK. An in vitro comparison of bond
strength of various obturation materials to root canal dentin using a pushout
test design. J Endod 2007;33:856-8.
11. Wadwani KK, Gurung S. Evaluation of root canal sealers on the fracture
resistance of root canal treated teeth-An in vitro study. Endodontology
12. Versluis A, Messer HH, Pintado MR. Changes in compaction stress
distributions in roots resulting from canal preparation. Int Endod J
13. Nguyen NT. Obturation of the root canal system. The Pathways of the
Pulp. 6th ed. Missouri: Mosby Publishers; 1994. p. 219-71.
14. Bier CA, Shemesh H, Tanomaru-Filho M, Wesselink PR, Wu MK. The
ability of different nickel-titanium rotary instruments to induce dentinal
damage during canal preparation. J Endod 2009;35:236-8.
15. Adorno CG, Yoshioka T, Suda H. The effect of root preparation technique
and instrumentation length on the development of apical root cracks.
J Endod 2009;35:389-92.
16. Kokkas AB, Boutsioukis AC, Vassiliadis LP, Stavrianos CK. The influence
of the smear layer on dentinal tubule penetration depth by three different
root canal sealers: An in vitro study. J Endod 2004;30:100-2.
17. Lertchirakarn V, Timyam A, Messer HH. Effects of root canal sealers on
vertical root fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth. J Endod
18. Tyagi S, Mishra P, Tyagi P. Evolution of root canal sealers. Eur J Gen Dent
19. Phukan AH, Mathur S, Sandhu M. The effect of different root canal sealers
on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth-in vitro study. Dent
Res J (Isfahan) 2017;14:382-8.
20. Chadha R, Taneja S, Kumar M. An in vitro comparative evaluation of
fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth obturated with different
materials. Contemp Clin Dent 2010;1:70-2.
21. Mandava J, Chang PC, Roopesh B, Faruddin MG, Anupreeta A, Uma Ch,
et al. Comparative evaluation of fracture resistance of root dentin to resin
sealers and a MTA sealer: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2014;17:53-6.