Correlation between Hypothyroidism and Systemic Arterial Blood Pressure: A Case–Control Study
Background: Hypothyroidism has been known to be associated with changes in systemic arterial blood pressure. Diastolic blood pressure (DBP) is known to be elevated causing proportionate reduction in pulse pressure.
Aim: The aim of the study is to find out the correlation between systolic blood pressure (SBP), DBP, pulse pressure (PP), and mean arterial pressure of hypothyroid patients and normal individuals.
Materials and Methods: This case–control study was conducted in Government Rajaji Hospital attached to Madurai Medical College, Madurai. Twenty-five hypothyroid subjects were enrolled for the study (study group) from the department of endocrinology and metabolism. Twenty-five normal subjects who were age and sex matched with the study group were enrolled for the study (control group). Serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels were estimated in all the subjects. Arterial blood pressure was recorded in all the subjects in the sitting posture and the results obtained. The results are tabulated and analyzed by applying unpaired “t” test.
Results and Conclusion: Among the blood pressure parameters, only PP showed a positive correlation between the study group and control group. SBP, DBP, and mean arterial blood pressure showed no significance.
and the heart. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 2017;13:55-9.
2. Adiraanse R, Romjin JA, Brabant G, Endert E, Wiersinga WM. Pulsatile
thyrotropin secretion in nonthyroidal illness. J Clin Endocrinol Metab
3. Fommei E, Iervasi G. The role of thyroid hormone in blood pressure
homeostasis: Evidence from short-term hypothyroidism in humans. J Clin
Endocrinol Metab 2002;87:1996-2000.
4. Young WF, Calhoun DA, Lenders JW, Stowasser M, Textor SC. Screening
for endocrine hypertension: An endocrine society scientific statement.
Endocr Rev 2017;38:103-22.
5. Luboshitzky R, Herer P. Cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged women
with subclinical hypothyroidism. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 2004;25:262-6.
6. Luboshitzky R, Aviv A, Herer P, Lavie L. Risk factors for cardiovascular
disease in women with subclinical hypothyroidism. Thyroid 2002;12:421-5.
7. Nagasaki T, Inaba M, Kumeda Y, Hiura Y, Shirakawa K, Yamada S, et al.
Increased pulse wave velocity in subclinical hypothyroidism. J Clin
Endocrinol Metab 2006;91:154-8.
8. Cappola AR, Ladenson PW. Hypothyroidism and atherosclerosis. J Clin
Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:2438-44.
9. Hak AE, Pols HA, Visser TJ, Drexhage HA, Hofman A, Witteman JC.Subclinical hypothyroidism is an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis
and myocardial infarction in elderly women: The Rotterdam study. Ann
Intern Med 2000;132:270-8.
10. Walsh JP, Bremner AP, Bulsara MK, O’Leary P, Leedman PJ, Feddema P,
et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction as a risk factor for cardiovascular
disease. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:2467-72.
11. Asvold BO, Bjoro T, Nilsen TI, Gunnell D, Vatten LJ. Thyrotropin levels
and risk of fatal coronary heart disease: The HUNT study. Arch Intern Med
12. Londe B, Klitzner TS. Auscultatory blood pressure measurement-effect of
pressure on the head of the stethoscope. West J Med 1984;141:193-5.
13. Mitchell PL, Purlin W, Blackburn H. Effect of vertical displacement
of the arm on indirect blood-pressure measurement. N Engl J Med
14. Baily RH, Bauer JH. A review of common errors in the indirect measurement
of blood pressure. Sphygmomanometry. Arch Intern Med 1993;153:2741-8.
15. Furchgott RF, Vanhoutte PM. Endothelium-derived relaxing and contracting
factors. FASEB J 1989;3:2007-18.
16. Ignarro LJ, Buga GM, Byrns RE, Wood KS, Chaudhuri G. Endotheliumderived
relaxing factor and nitric oxide possess identical pharmacologic
properties as relaxants of bovine arterial and venous smooth muscle. J
Pharmacol Exp Ther 1988;246:218-26.
17. Murad F, Waldman S, Molina C, Bennett B, Leitman D. Regulation and
role of guanylate cyclase-cyclic GMP in vascular relaxation. Prog Clin Biol
18. Sudar E, Dobutovic B, Soskic S, Mandusic V, Zakula Z, Misirkic M, et al.
Regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase activity/expression in rat
hearts from ghrelin-treated rats. J Physiol Biochem 2011;67:195-204.
19. Stanimirovic J, Obradovic M, Jovanovic A, SudarMilovanovic E, Zafirovic S,
Pitt SJ, et al. A high fat diet induces sex-specific differences in hepatic lipid
metabolism and nitrite/nitrate in rats. Nitric Oxide 2016;54:51-9.
20. Obradovic M, Gluvic Z, Sudar-Milovanovic E, Panic A, Trebaljevac J,
Bajic V, et al. Nitric oxide as a marker for levo-thyroxine therapy in
subclinical hypothyroid patients. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2016;14:266-70.
21. Milovanovic ES, Jovanovic A, Misirkic-Marjanovic M, Vucicevic L,
Janjetovic K, Isenovic ER. Effects of intracerebroventricularly (ICV)
injected ghrelin on cardiac inducible nitric oxide synthase activity/
expression in obese rats. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2015;123:581-8.
22. Milovanovic SE, Zafirovic S, Jovanovic A, Trebaljevac J, Obradovic M,
Cenic-Milosevic D, et al. Hormonal regulation of nitric oxide (NO) in
cardio-metabolic diseases. Curr Pharm Des 2017;23:1427-34.
23. Ogonowski N, Piro G, Pessah D, Arreche N, Puchulu B, Balaszczuk AM,
et al. Thyroid disorders and nitric oxide in cardiovascular adaptation to
hypovolemia. J Endocrinol 2016;230:185-95.
24. Quesada A, Sainz J, Wangensteen R, Rodriguez-Gomez I, Vargas F,
Osuna A. Nitric oxide synthase activity in hyperthyroid and hypothyroid
rats. Eur J Endocrinol 2002;147:117-22.
25. Ittermann T, Thamm M, Wallaschofski H, Rettig R, Völzke H. Serum
thyroid-stimulating hormone levels are associated with blood pressure in
children and adolescents. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97:828-34.
26. Berta E, Lengyel I, Halmi S, Zrínyi M, Erdei A, Harangi M, et al. Nagy and
miklós bodor. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2019;10:482.