Nasal Retrograde Intubation in Oromaxillofacial Surgery Patients with Limited Mouth Opening: A Cross-sectional Study
Introduction: Retrograde intubation is an alternative technique of securing definitive airway in the patients with limited mouth
opening (LMO) when blind nasal intubation fails, and fiber-optic bronchoscope is unavailable. Retrograde intubation in patients
with LMO <2 cm through nasal route is an alternative method for airway management.
Materials and Methods: The procedure was performed on 36 patients requiring maxillofacial surgical procedures to increase
mouth opening. Indication for this technique was oral mucous fibrosis (OSMF; n = 12), temporomandibular joint (TMJ) ankylosis
(n = 8), mandibular fracture (n = 12), and derangement of TMJ (n = 4). All patients were examined for pre-operative interincisal
opening; during intubation through specific parameters and also post-operative findings were observed.
Results: The mean time was 5.6 min in successfully intubated patients. Eight patients had sore throat which resolved in few
days and two patients had subcutaneous emphysema managed conservatively. No other complications were detected.
Conclusion: Retrograde nasotracheal intubation is an effective and useful technique for airway management in LMO patients
with minimal risk.
the difficult airway. Practice Guidelines for Management of the Difficult
Airway; an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists
Task Force on management of the difficult airway. Anesthesiology
2. Bhattacharya P, Biswas BK, Baniwal S. Retrieval of a retrograde catheter
using suction, in patients who mcannot open their mouths. Br J Anaesth
3. Lehman H, Fleissig Y, Abid-el-raziq D, Nitzan DW. Limited mouth opening
of unknown cause cured by diagnostic coronoidectomy: A new clinical
entity? Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015;53:230-4.
4. Davies JA. Blind nasal intubation. Br J Anaesth 1975;47:1339.
5. Jackson PM, Richard HH, Holmgreen WC. Awake blind nasoendotracheal
intubation: Acomprehensive review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;52:1303-11.
6. Gill M, Madden M, Green SM. Retrograde endotracheal intubation: An
investigation of indications, complications and patient outcomes. Am J
Emerg Med 2005;23:123-6.
7. Dhara SS. Retrograde tracheal intubation. Anaesthesia 2009;64:1094-104.
8. Jundt JS, Cattano D, Hagberg CA, Wilson JW. Submental intubation:A literature review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;41:46-54.
9. Anwer HM, Zeitoun IM, Shehata EA. Submandibular approach for tracheal
intubation in patients with panfacial fractures. Br J Anaesth 2007;98:835-40.
10. Vadepally AK, Sinha R, Kumar AV, Anmol A. Quest for an ideal route of
intubation for oral and maxillofacial surgical manoeuvres. J Maxillofac
Oral Surg 2016;15:207-16.
11. Simmons ST, Schleich AR. Airway regional anesthesia for awake fiberoptic
intubation. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2002;27:180-92.
12. Miller RD. Anaesthesia. St Louis: Mosby Saunders, Churchill Livingstone;
2009. p. 1579.
13. Burbulys D, Kiai K. Retrograde intubation. Emerg Med Clin N Am
14. Bourke D, Levesque PR. Modification of retrograde guide for endotracheal
intubation. Anesth Analg 1974;53:1013-104.
15. Michael HH, Meredith JW. Modified retrograde intubation technique for
rapid airway access. Am J Surg 1990;159:597-9.
16. Shantha TR. Retrograde intubation using the sub-cricoid region. Br J
17. Dhara SS. Retrograde intubation – a facilitated approach. Br J Anaesth
18. Butler FS, Cirillo AA. Retrograde tracheal intubation. Anesth Analg
19. Wijesinghe HS, Gough JE. Complications of a retrograde intubation in a
trauma patient. Acad Emerg Med 2000;7:1267-71.
20. Barriot P, Riuo B. Retrograde technique for tracheal intubation in trauma
patients. Crit Care Med 1988;16:712-3.
21. Adebayo BS, Aluko OB, Ademola OA, Sunday OA. Aetiology and
presentation of ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint: Report of
23 cases from Abuja, Nigeria. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;50:80-4.
22. Borland LM, Swan DM, Leff S. Diffcult pediatric endotracheal intubation:
A new approach to the retrograde technique. Anesthesiology 1981;55:577-8.
23. Mounir N, Madi A, Trop D. Pulling versus guiding: A modification of
retrograde guided intubation. Can J Anaesth 1989;36:336-9.
24. Mahajan R, Sandhya X, Chari P. An alternative technique for retrograde
intubation (correspondence). Anaesthesia 2001;56:1207-8.
25. Arya VK, Dutta A, Chari P. Diffcult retrograde endotracheal intubation: The
utility of a pharyngeal loop. Anesth Analg 2002;94:470-3.