Hernia of Morgagni in Adults: Atypical Presentations
Background: Foramen of Morgagni hernias is rare diaphragmatic hernias, usually occurring on the right side and located
in the anterior mediastinum because of the retrosternal location of the foramen of Morgagni.Adult patients diagnosed with a
foramen of Morgagni hernia are usually asymptomatic. Although most remain asymptomatic, some patients develop symptoms
of dyspnea, cough, sternal pain, and bowel obstruction depending on the extent of the hernia. The hernia usually contains
omentum, bowel (colon), and sometimes liver.
Materials and Methods: We present three adult patients one presenting with dyspnea, the second presenting with acute
intestinal obstruction, and the third patient was diagnosed to have the hernia on routine investigations.
Conclusion: Clinical awareness of atypical presentations and diagnostic difficulties might help in prompt diagnosis and early
surgical treatment of this otherwise potentially fatal disease.
treatment Nasr. Thorac Surg Clin 2009;19:463-8.
2. Abraham V, Myla Y, Verghese S, Chandran BS. Morgagni-larrey hernia-a
review of 20 cases. Indian J Surg 2012;74:391-5.
3. Arora S, Haji A, Ng P. Adult morgagni hernia: The need for clinical
awareness, early diagnosis and prompt surgical intervention. Ann R Coll
Surg Engl 2008;90:694-5.
4. Khan HA, Samad A, Khan OA, Chagan FK, Khan JK, Fatimi SH. Hernia
of morgagni presenting as constipation in a 65-year-old male. Cureus
5. Griffiths EA, Ellis A, Mohamed A, Tam E, Ball CS. Surgical treatment of a
Morgagni hernia causing intermittent gastric outlet obstruction. BMJ Case
6. Akhavan-Heidari M, Edwards D, Besenhaver J, Wolfer R. Incidental
finding of congenital thoracic malformations in adult population. South
Med J 2006;99:539-43.
7. Gedik E, Tuncer MC, Onat S, Avci A, Tacyildiz I, Bac B, et al. A review of
Morgagni and Bochdalek hernias in adults. Folia Morphol 2011;70:5-12.
8. Nasr A, Fecteau A. Foramen of Morgagni hernia: Presentation and
treatment. Thorac Surg Clin 2009;19:463-8.
9. Aghajanzadeh M, Khadem S, Jahromi SK, Gorabi HE, Ebrahimi H,
Maafi AA. Clinical presentation and operative repair of Morgagni hernia.
Interact Cardio Vasc Thorac Surg 2012;15:608-11.
10. Loong TP, Kocher HM. Clinical presentation and operative repair of hernia
of Morgagni. Postgrad Med J 2005;81:41-4